Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Pathetic Congressman

On January 27, 2014, I wrote to my representative, Andre Carson, 7th District in Indianapolis, asking him to support legislation that would remove forced abortion funding from our healthcare premiums.

Dear Rep. Carson,

I am writing to request your support for HR7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act. This bill is needed to protect citizens, both born and pre-born.

Although President Obama signed an executive order barring abortion funding in the Affordable Care Act when the law was passed, in 2012, the HHS quietly inserted an abortion surcharge into the law. Worse, last November, Secretary Sebelius testified before the House that people could look on the healthcare.gov web site to learn which insurance plans contain the required abortion payments. Despite her promise, however, this information has not been found anywhere on the site.

In my own case, I purchased health insurance through my job last fall. Although I have requested it repeatedly, neither the insurance carrier nor my employer will give me a copy of the full insurance plan booklet. Because of this lack of cooperation, I may already be paying into the abortion fund on behalf of everyone in my family, including my minor daughters. This is simply unacceptable.

HR 7 is needed not only to protect the conscience rights of every citizen, but also the lives of innocent children and their mothers. No citizen should be compelled to pay into an abortion fund, yet so far, the HHS is requiring us to do just that.

Abortion is never a right. Rather, it is always a tragedy. No woman ever wants to abort her baby. Please vote for HR7, and put an end to abortion funding in healthcare.


It took Carson and his staff more than six weeks to answer, complete with inaccuracies and support of a dead bill from 2010 that advocates teaching kids comprehensive sex education, not abstinence, or any limits on abortion.


March 06, 2014


Dear Mrs. :

Thank you for contacting me to voice your opinion regarding abortion. The opinions and concerns of my fellow Hoosiers are essential to the decision making process as a Member of Congress.

Since the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision in 1972, abortion has become one of our nation's most divisive issues. While I support a woman's right to choose, I also believe that every effort should be made to reduce the frequency of abortions. That is why I supported the Reducing the Need for Abortion and Supporting Parents Act, which will increase funding programs that seek to reduce teen pregnancy, educate about adoption, and otherwise minimize requests for abortions. I sincerely hope that this legislation will help all Americans find common ground on this issue.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue and I hope you will continue to contact my office on future issues. I encourage you to visit my website at http://carson.house.gov where you can view the latest news and updates about pertinent issues and legislation important to you, or follow me on Twitter @RepAndreCarson. You may also sign up for my weekly e-newsletter The Carson Courier to receive periodic updates on my activities in Indianapolis and in Washington, D.C. As always, my staff and I are here to serve you. Please feel free to contact me if we ever can be of further assistance to you.
Sincerely,

André Carson

André Carson
Member of Congress




No comments:

Post a Comment